Water leakage is a major problem faced by property owners. To prevent this problem, you should use the best waterproofers when laying the building your house. It is one way of ensuring that only top quality waterproofing products are used to seal the cracks, masonry cracks and joints. A waterproofing expert works closely with building and construction companies. If you are in this field, you may consider using ASAP as your main waterproofing contractor. But if you are just a building owner rather than a businessman, you could call the company when you see signs of water leakage.
Water leakage has a number of sources that are easily detected by the qualified expert. They use hydrostatic patches, waterproof paints and sealants to complete simple projects. In cases where the leakage is serious, the waterproofing expert makes use of advanced corrective methods. Severe water leakage will most likely require men in the basement and use of digging and hauling tools. The best way to know whether you have a large, complex project is to get in touch with genuine waterproofers.
If they are real professionals, they will send a specialist to the site to carry out an inspection. This is how the company will determine the best course of action and the amount of money you might have to spend. At the same time, the specialist will produce a list of materials you might need to buy. If they can provide them, they will make it known to you. Moreover, they will estimate the period of time they might take to complete the waterproofing work.
Sometimes the leakage does not arise from the ground. It is usually the gutters and downspouts that need to be repaired or changed. If yours extend eight feet from the home’s foundation, the origin of water leaks could be somewhere else. If there are low lying areas of settling, they need to be filled in and routed away from the foundation. This will keep the foundation and basement dry. Another way of keeping wetness away from the basement is via hollow baseboards. They are attached to the floor along the wall to start acting as a water barrier. Trapped water travels along the baseboards to a drain outlet. At a personal level, you can protect your basement from wetness in the following ways:
- Improve your home’s ventilation based on your area’s climatic conditions.
- Install gutters and downspouts around your house so they could trap water from the roof. Ensure that you clean your gutters often to avoid stagnating water.
- Ensure that your basement windows are protected from heavy storms. A qualified waterproofing expert knows what to install and how to keep drainage working well.
- Make the ground slope away from the outside foundation. The slope should extend at least ten feet.
- Do you have wide shrubs growing near the foundation? It is important to trim them often as this will allow more sun to reach the ground and dry the soil.
- It is wiser to use a dehumidifier in your basement. This device will lower the moisture content in the basement and help to keep it dry. As well, you can introduce a huge fan to boost ventilation in this area.
- Any identified leakage should be repaired. If there are water pipes that are improperly insulated, you should maintain them.
Waterproofers are professionals you cannot avoid using if you have noticed a musty smell in the basement. That moldy smell is a sign that you have a water leakage problem that has to be detected and solved at once. This expert has the best knowledge, experience and waterproofing products to eliminate the issue.